[monit] How does start/stop/restart work ?

From: Jonathan Vanasco
Subject: [monit] How does start/stop/restart work ?
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:04:40 -0400

I have monit configured to restart a website.

the problem is that i get 30 alerts and all failed restarts... and there seems to be no logging whatsoever of the attempt aside from 'failed' in the monit log

so i do not know why monit can restart

can anyone tell me how i can get better reporting from monit , and how the start/stop actually works?

my system requirements mean i can not have scripts in /etc - they need to go in user spaces. i'm wondering if problems have to do with my setup (below). though I can't tell because of no logging.

check process devsite
     with pidfile "/home/devsite/_current/log/production.pid"
     start program = "/home/devsite/_current/production-start"
     stop program = "/home/devsite/_current/production-kill"
     if failed port 5102 with timeout 5 seconds then restart
     if failed url http://127.0.0.1:5102/corporate  then restart
     if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
     set alert address@hidden

/home/devsite/_current/production-start
paster serve --pid-file=log/production.pid --log-file=log/ production.log production.ini &
/home/devsite/_current/production-kill
        kill `cat /home/devsite/_current/log/production.pid`