[monit] Monit 4.10.1 on HP-UX 11.11 v2

From: Brian Downey
Subject: [monit] Monit 4.10.1 on HP-UX 11.11 v2
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 08:28:41 -0700

Hey All,

I'd like to throw this out on the mailing list in the event that it helps someone else out there. I've managed to get Monit working great on HP-UX 11.11 v1 and v2, with a little finagling.

First off, you'll need these packages from the hp-ux open source porting center (http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/)

* gcc
* flex
* bison
* gettext
* libiconv
* m4
* make
* zlib

If you'd like SSL support, you'll probably have to install the openssl- related depots as well.

As usual, run ./configure and let it finish. It should use bison instead of flex during the configure phase--it'll show up right at the beginning. I had issues with the ported version of flex working properly.

Before running 'gmake', edit the Makefile and on the LIBS line from this:

LIB     = -lfl -lcrypt -lnsl

to look like this:

LIB     = -lpthread -lfl -lcrypt -lnsl

This is because HP decided to implement pthread stubs in the standard C lib on HP-UX, and if you do not explicitly define pthread, it'll inherit the stubs instead, and you'll get stuff like this in your log:

Warning: Failed to create the http server. Thread error -- Function is not available.

Take a look here for more info: http://docs.hp.com/en/1896/pthreads.html

After making that change, do 'gmake; gmake install' and all should work well.

Hope that helps someone!
-Brian