Re: [monit] Problem monitoring mongrel Rails servers

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [monit] Problem monitoring mongrel Rails servers
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 18:08:29 +0200

On 3. april. 2008, at 17.08, SMITH Duncan wrote:
I have checked for permissions problems, but the start and stop scripts work fine from the commandline, run as root, and the monit is running as root also.

I also tried monitoring apache, and the start/stop worked fine using a similar script, so I expect something may be wrong with mongrels but I cannot see what it could be, since they work fine otherwise.

From the faq:
For security reasons monit purges the environment and only set a spartan PATH variable that contains /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin and /usr/ sbin. If monit cannot run your program or script cannot, the reason could be that the script expects certain environment variables or to find certain programs via the PATH. If this is the case you should set the environment variables you need directly in the start or stop script called by monit.