Re: [monit] Monit Span Multiple instances

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] Monit Span Multiple instances
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 23:46:50 +0100

Hi,

there was similar problem which was fixed in monit 4.9:

--8<--
* Fix the extra restart action which was called by monit
  in addition to user requested start action of stopped
  process. This didn't occured in the case that the 'every'
  statement was used on the service definition as well. Thanks
  to Aaron Scamehorn for help.
--8<--

It seems however that some applications still has this or similar problem (reported by several users).

I'll look on it ...

Martin

Navaneethakrishnan Goapl wrote:
Hi,

Monit Version : 4.9
OS Version : CentOS release 4.4

I am facing the following issue more often. Monit is working fine for some time. But at some point of time, if I restart the process, Monit span multiple instance of that process. I see that this is the problem with earlier releases of MONIT. Is this issue still persist in the latest version? Could some one reply to this?

root 8580 1 0 05:31 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /opt/CSCOacsvw/resources/monit/monit_script.sh jobmanager start root 8591 1 0 05:31 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /opt/CSCOacsvw/resources/monit/monit_script.sh jobmanager start

Monitrc
-------

check process Jobmanager with pidfile "/opt/CSCOacsvw/resources/monit/jobmanager.pid" start program = "/opt/CSCOacsvw/resources/monit/monit_script.sh jobmanager start" stop program = "/opt/CSCOacsvw/resources/monit/monit_script.sh jobmanager stop"

monit -vc ./monitrc start all

Runtime constants:
Control file      = ./monitrc
Log file          = /opt/CSCOacsvw/log/monit_errors.log
Pid file          = /var/run/monit.pid
Debug              = True
Log                = True
Use syslog        = False
Is Daemon          = True
Use process engine = True
Poll time          = 60 seconds
Mail server(s)    = localhost
Mail from          = (not defined)
Mail subject      = (not defined)
Mail message      = (not defined)
Start monit httpd  = True
httpd bind address = Any/All
httpd portnumber  = 2812
httpd signature    = True
Use ssl encryption = False
httpd auth. style  = Host/Net allow list

Process Name          = Jobmanager
Pid file            = /opt/CSCOacsvw/resources/monit/jobmanager.pid
Monitoring mode      = active
Start program = '/opt/CSCOacsvw/resources/monit/monit_script.sh jobmanager start' timeout 1 cycle(s) Stop program = '/opt/CSCOacsvw/resources/monit/monit_script.sh jobmanager stop' timeout 1 cycle(s)
Pid                  = if changed 1 times within 1 cycle(s) then alert
Ppid                = if changed 1 times within 1 cycle(s) then alert

Regards,
navanee