Re: [monit] Alerts and HELO/MessageID hostname issue

From: Athan Dimoy
Subject: Re: [monit] Alerts and HELO/MessageID hostname issue
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 20:41:42 +0000 (UTC)

Scott Silva <ssilva <at> sgvwater.com> writes:

> Your hostname is not a FQDN. You shouldn't use your domain name as the
> complete hostname. A FQDN needs a machine name in addition to the domain
name.
> So your machine could just be named mail.example.com also.

I know that Scott, however the specific machine cannot be renamed to anything
else (company policy). Also, Postfix which is run on the same server, works
just fine configured to use mail.example.com as hostname (mail.example.com has
a valid A record pointing to same IP).

All other server apps (eg PHP, mailx, system alerts etc) use system's sendmail
and have no problem using mail.inray.com for both HELO/EHLO and message ID.

If monit was able to send alerts using system's sendmail, it would work too.
Anyway in its current form, I think that is easier to implement a "hostname"
configurable option.

Athan