[monit] Alerts and HELO/MessageID hostname issue

From: Athan Dimoy
Subject: [monit] Alerts and HELO/MessageID hostname issue
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:30:40 +0000 (UTC)

The host where monit runs (example.com) also hosts my mail server
(mail.example.com). This server is used my monit to send alerts using smtp
(mailserver mail.example.com). Monit is using gethostname() function which
returns the hostname example.com. Next, this hostname is used my monit, both
as HELO (EHLO) and MessageID trail.

Unfortunately, my ISP, as well as my company mailserver, use a backscatter
protection that reject monit alerts as forged mail. The reason is, that
example.com MX is mail.example.com and that is what is expected as HELO
message and MessageID trail.

The only solution I've found so far, is to hardcode the desired hostname
(mail.example.com) in sendmail.c.

Could you please consider implementing an additional mailserver entry that
will allow users to set the exact hostname to be used for HELO/EHLO and
MessageID generation? For example: "set mailserver mail.example.com with
hostname mail.example.com with timeout 30 seconds"

Thanks
Athan