[monit] stop on failed service

From: Peter Baumgartner
Subject: [monit] stop on failed service
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 07:11:19 -0700

Monit had it's first opportunity to fix a failed service for me last
night. The problem was it never ran my stop script to remove the stale
pid file causing it to fail to start. Is there something I can change
to force it to run the stop script even when it finds the process not
running? Here's what my syslog captured:

Jan 21 06:30:59 server monit[5653]: 'myprocess' process is not running
Jan 21 06:30:59 server monit[5653]: 'myprocess' trying to restart
Jan 21 06:30:59 server monit[5653]: 'myprocess' start: /usr/bin/python
Jan 21 06:30:59 server monit[5653]: 'myprocess' failed to start

And here is my configuration:

check process myprocess with pidfile /var/run/myprocess.pid
    start program = "/usr/bin/python myprocess.py"
    stop program = "/usr/local/bin/killserver.sh myprocess"
    if totalmem is greater than 60.0 MB for 5 cycles then restart
 # eating up memory?
    if cpu is greater than 50% for 2 cycles then alert
 # send an email to admin
    if cpu is greater than 80% for 3 cycles then restart
 # hung process?
    if loadavg(5min) greater than 10 for 8 cycles then restart
 # bad, bad, bad
    if 3 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
# something is wrong, call the sys-admin

    if failed port 9060 protocol http                   # check for response
        with timeout 10 seconds
        then restart
    group mygroup