[monit] Monit reporting wrong disk usage on OpenBSD

From: Jake Conk
Subject: [monit] Monit reporting wrong disk usage on OpenBSD
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:54:10 -0800

Hello,

First a little background, I'm using the latest monit at this time
monit 4.10.1 (compiled, not by package) and I'm running OpenBSD 4.1. I
cofigured all my disk partitions to be monitored with monit however
when I looked at the web interface for details I got this for disk
usage on ALL my disks, "35.1% [29.7 MB]" and for inode usage I got
"25.6% [3283 objects]".

Here is my service configuration for each device:

# Monitor home(/home) filesystem
check device fshome with path /dev/raid0g
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems
# Monitor root(/) filesystem
check device fsroot with path /dev/raid0a
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems
# Monitor tmp(/tmp) filesystem
check device fstmp with path /raid0e
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems
# Monitor usr(/usr) filesystem
check device fsusr with path /dev/raid0d
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems
# Monitor var(/var) filesystem
check device fsvar with path /dev/raid0f
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems

I then thought the problem might be because doing a software raid 1
with OpenBSD and maybe monit can't properly read a software raid1 disk
so I created a service check for an actual device on my system:

# Monitor sd0b(/xx) filesystem
check device fstest with path /dev/sd0b
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems

Magically that reported the same results as all my raid file systems.

Has anyone else reported the same problems on OpenBSD and is there a fix?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
- Jake