Re: [monit] monit config

From: Aleksander Kamenik
Subject: Re: [monit] monit config
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 02:40:44 +0300

Maxim Veksler wrote:

Mind posting one of them? I have a production server alerting me each
night at 5:17 about CPU load because the is archiving files, haven't
really found the time to add monit resource monitoring disable
section.

I meant monit does not alert me on "monit unmonitor whatever". It doesn't by default and I don't know if it can be made to do that.

I use "monit unmonitor zebox" in the beginning of the backup or whatever script and at the end have "sleep 5m && monit monitor zebox". The sleep is for the 5 minute load average to normalize and other stats to drop to normal levels.

zebox is something like this, simple example:

check system zebox
        if loadavg (1min) > 2 then alert
        if loadavg (5min) > 1 then alert
        if memory usage > 99% then alert
        if cpu usage (user) > 95% then alert
        if cpu usage (system) > 45% then alert
        if cpu usage (wait) > 40% then alert

You could also put the "monit unmonitor" and "monit monitor" stuff into cron next to your backup scripts, something like this:

30 2 * * * root source /etc/profile && monit unmonitor zebox && sh /opt/my/backup.sh && sleep 5m && monit monitor zebox

HTH,

--
Aleksander Kamenik
system administrator