Re: problem with monitoring apache

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: problem with monitoring apache
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:45:42 +0200

On 11. okt. 2007, at 17.17, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

Try running monit from console, in debug mode i.e. 'monit -Iv' to see what the server actually returns seen from monit. Look for lines such as 'HTTP error: Server returned status xxx' where xxx is something other than 200.

I'm sorry. I was to quick with my reply and didn't catch that you already got a 404 in the log:

[CEST Oct 11 02:29:01] error : HTTP error: Server returned status 404

Well, according monit then, apache returned "Not Found" when requesting the /monit file. Can you verify that the monit file is in DocumentRoot and is readable by all?

If you do the request by hand, using telnet, you should see something like this?

hauk:[~]telnet localhost 80
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /monit HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost
Connection: close

HTTP/1.1 404 OK
[....]

Not sure why wget works though and not monit. Since monit get a 404 error it obviously can connect to the host, so the problem must be related to the actual request sent by monit which is more or less the same as shown above in the telnet session.

Ps. As a side note and unrelated to the problem i believe, from my telnet session above you can see that monit does not speak IPv6 yet.