Re: Using monit to monitor hundreds of thousands of file system resource

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Using monit to monitor hundreds of thousands of file system resources?
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 16:15:24 +0200

On 1. sep. 2007, at 12.07, Sergio Trejo wrote:

why couldn't monit be evolved to the next level of evolution such that it could be just as good at scaling to hundreds of thousands of file system resources for monitoring purposes? Personally, I really like monit a lot and prefer to stay using it for these purposes rather than have to spend time getting to know about tripwire or something similar. I'd love to see an evolution of monit for scaling to large resources. Is there a good reason why monit should not evolve to that next level of maturity?

To do this scalable we will need to hook up monit to a database. This is certainly possible, we even have our own GPL database library we could use, with support for the 3 most popular open source databases[1]

However, I guess, 99.99% of those using monit will not use monit to handle over 100K of files. With the very limited development resources we have, I'm not sure its in our best interest to do this now. We still have a long list of TODO items [2] that are of more general interest. Besides doing this brings monit into the more "enterprise" segment of complex software. Not sure we want to go there. What do others think?

Just my $0.02

[1] http://tildeslash.com/libzdb/
[2] http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/next.php