How does monit check disk usage technically?

From: Sergio Trejo
Subject: How does monit check disk usage technically?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:45:33 -1000

Hello again,

I just edited a monit configuration file which monitors devices (disc volumes) on my Mac server running Mac OS X 10.4.10. The discs attached are the HFS+ file system types (standard for Apple).

My device entry in the monit configuration file looks like this:

check device SomeDiscName with path /dev/disk1
     if space usage > 90% then alert

What's interesting is that I'm getting alerts for my device checks even though I know for sure (using some of the BSD tools that Apple bundles with Mac OS X) that my disc space is much much less than 90% usage. Monit is sending me alerts in email that look like this:

SomeDiscName Resource limit matched at Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:30:35 +0000

And the corresponding log entry looks like this:

[ Aug 31 17:30:35] error    : 'SomeDiscName' space usage 100.0% matches resource limit [space usage>90.0%]

Should I not be using monit for monitoring disc device space use and/or inode use on Mac systems with HFS+ file system types?

Thanks again,

Serg