Running monit without http and apache

From: David Pratt
Subject: Running monit without http and apache
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:34:53 -0300

Hi, I am investigating monitoring solutions and have been reading monit documentation. I am seeking a pure command line utility for monitoring - from what I have read, monit is quite close to what I have in mind.

I do not want the overhead or potential security issues that can come from another framework or web server. I just want to monitor, log, query and collect results from the system so really just interested in the core of what monit can do. I also want some action to be triggered if there is a problem.

I am not certain that monit can be used this way since it seems quite tied to a http interface. Hoping someone can provide clarification as to whether results can be collected (even if it is though a debugging command line interface) without a running web server.

Many thanks

Regards,
David