Re: no PID with fastcgi, can I monitor it?

From: Jovan Kostovski
Subject: Re: no PID with fastcgi, can I monitor it?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 00:09:37 +0200

The problem with the fastcgi is that it doesn't run continuously.
When Apache receives a request that should be executed via cgi it
forks processes the request and exists from the forked process
(it's like a call to an external program from the program you are running)
That's why you can not get a pid for it. Even if you are checking the Apache
process you should monitor the parent process because Apache runs in
multiple threads (child processes).

So I suppose to free the "eaten" memory, you'll probably have to
monitor and restart Apache, but this can be tricky. You can configure
monit to restart Apache
whenever it goes over the limit for memory usage, but you'll never
know the exact time when the restart will happen. This will result in
downtime and not handled request at random time moments. Because of
this, I think the best thing to do is to find out in which period of
the day the network traffic to the server is low and to cron a restart
in these hours, i.e. 3-4AM.

Hope this helps, Jovan