Re: multiple servers

From: Pavel Urban
Subject: Re: multiple servers
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 10:05:57 +0200

Michael Steinfeld wrote:
Hi --

This question has probably been asked many times, but ..

If I have 6 web servers that I want to monitor, do I have to install
monit on each of them? I have searched around, and I see how to use
monit for a single server but can someone point me to a doc on setting
up multiple server monitoring or if it's possible...

thanks,
mike

It depends on what you want to monitor and which actions you want to do. IF you just want to monitor if a given service responds and send alerts, you can monitor remote port 80. You are losing other possibilites, though - you cannot restart the service in case of failure, you cannot monitor memory/cpu consumption, you may encounter false alerts due to inter-connectivity problems etc.

Pavel Urban (pavel.urban (at) o2.com)
O2 system disaster
Telefonica O2 Czech Republic, a.s. - www.cz.o2.com
   Vegetables should not operate electronic equipment.
          Computer Stupidities, http://rinkworks.com/stupid/