Re: is monit just a pain in the arse or what ?

From: monit user
Subject: Re: is monit just a pain in the arse or what ?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 15:28:36 -0700

Here is something related that you might want to keep in mind for debugging.
I just now changed the path to a disk resource from /dev/hda to /dev/sda
hda was the wrong drive for this machine, then I immediately did:

# monit reload
# monit status

But it still said:
Device 'rootfs'
  status                            Data access error

I had to do:

# monit quit
# monit
# monit status

And then I got:
The monit daemon 4.9 uptime: 0m
Device 'rootfs'
  status                            accessible

I had a similar situation with some other resources where I changed the path of the pid file (but not the name of the resource). So when making changes to the config, it seems to be a good idea to quit monit and restart if you are having trouble.

Closer to your exact problem, I suggested using strace for someone having pid problems and they were able to identify the issue using something like this:

strace -ttt -f -ff -o monitissue -e trace=file -p monit's_process_id

In your case, you'd want to strace both the running monit process and the command "monit summary" with a few different options instead of just trace=file to see where the communication breakdown was happening but trace=file should help pinpoint pid file and start/stop script issues. For the person having the pid trouble, it turned out that the start script was not executable and nothing was wrong with the pid file nor monit's interaction with the pid file.

For the record, I find monit to be the least frustrating and most lean and stable monitoring tool to build, install, configure and use with constant and timely free support, development, bug fixes and scrutiny of the code (and any issues that are brought to light) by the developer. I have monit instances that have run continuously for over a year without restarting or problems... Certain other tools (that share the same first few letters) made me want to quit using computers and become a sheep shearer. YMMV.

Martin Pala wrote:
Can you try monit >= 4.8.2? In monit 4.8.1 the http thread was blocking in when for example process was restarted via http interface.

Thanks,
Martin

Alexey Zilber wrote:
I get this occasionally as well. Two different system, same OS, one works fine, one does what you just described. Both installed via the same rpm.

Is there perhaps some resource or status file that monit maybe doesn't have permission to access?

-Alex