Re: Not a valid pidnumber

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Not a valid pidnumber
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:47:50 +0200

The following:

        monit: <blah> pidfile does not contain a valid pidnumber

is from a control thread monit uses to check if a program it started did in fact start. The control thread check the pid file each second to see if the program got up and continue to check the pid file for up to cycle seconds before it times out, hence the log statements above which I just removed from monit since that was somewhat excessive logging by monit.

In your case, the program monit tried to start obviously did not start since it never wrote a valid pid file or pid. And yes, monit will continue to try and start the program at each cycle, but to find out why the program did not start you must check the program log files or other log files to find out why.