monit and tomcat

From: Chris Salem
Subject: monit and tomcat
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:22:11 -0000

Hello,

I'm new to monit and I'm trying to monitor tomcat, I just want to restart tomcat if it crashes.  When I start the monit daemon and run 'monit start tomcat' sometimes it says tomcat starts and sometimes it says tomcat failed to start, but in either case tomcat does not start.  Same thing with doing it from the web interface.  Here's my monitrc file:

 set daemon  120
 set httpd port 2812 and
     use address localhost  # only accept connection from localhost
     allow localhost        # allow localhost to connect to the server and
  check process tomcat with pidfile "/var/run/tomcat.pid"
    start program = "/etc/init.d/tomcat start"
    stop program  = "/etc/init.d/tomcat stop"
    if failed port 8080 protocol http then restart
    if 3 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
    group server

I also attached the log file that it produces.  I confirmed that starting tomcat does create a pid file when calling the command "/etc/init.d/tomcat start" and it does remove the pid file when calling stop.  Also I'm using the latest version of CentOS and monit 4.9.1 64 bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks