Re: Stop/Start happening simultaneously

From: Aleksander
Subject: Re: Stop/Start happening simultaneously
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:17:26 +0300

Cyrus Mehta wrote:

My problem is when restarting a particular service using the browser
restart button (or cmd-line:  monit -c  ~/monit_master.cfg restart
schedserver), the stop function goes off, followed almost simultaneously by
the start function.  I validated this by doing a constant 'ps -ef | grep'
for both the stop and start processes before restarting, and the start
script happens almost seconds after the stop script, which ultimately
causes restarts to fail, since stop and start are happening simultaneously.

I've had that problem too. Haven't got around to fixing it yet though.

I even tried putting a "sleep 60" at one point, but to no effect
        stop = "/mycompany/script/runService.sh schedserver stop ; sleep
60"

I'd use a && instead of a semicolon. Also, if you suspect that "start" is done too early without waiting for stop to finish, it would make more sense to put sleep in front of the start script, not behind the stop script. Just some ideas.

A custom restart definition would be a good addition to monit.

HTH,
        Alex