Re: Monit memory usage

From: Yogi
Subject: Re: Monit memory usage
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:23:46 -0700

Thanks for the reply.

This is very likely related to the resource monitoring code in monit
on Mac OS X. Resource monitoring on Mac OS X has been shaky. From
your own mail, sent to the list a while ago:

"It looks like Apple is phasing out support for /dev/mem and the
Intel version of Tiger does not have it by default. It can however
be enabled using a kmem=1 boot-arg. So I was wondering if this is
the only workaround to get resource monitoring working or is there
another way?"

Actually, this is happening on a PowerPC based XServe (on which I did
not have to use the above hack).

If you remove the resource testing code from .monitrc the leak should
go away. I get no memory leaks on mine iMac x86 in that case. I
haven't tested for leaks using the hack above.

I removed all resource testing code, and it still adds 500K on every cycle.

Is that the new intel based server or the old based on powerpc?

PowerPC

If you feel adventures and have developer tools installed you can try
to track down the leak using "/Developer/Applications/Performance\
Tools/MallocDebug" Remember to start monit with the -Iv arguments as
shown in the screenshot. But as I said I'm quite certain that this
leak is either in our resource code or in apple's kvm library
interface. Since the code seem to work okay on PPC  it may be that
the hack above is the cause and the problem is in the kvm_* api.

Unfortunately I don't have access to MallocDebug on this server.

In any case, I think we need to rewrite the resource code for Mac OS
X and I plan to start by investigate "top" on darwin to see how apple
grabs memory information.

  http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.4.8.x86/top-17.4/

Thanks,
- Yogi