Re: Qmail in Monit?

From: David Fletcher
Subject: Re: Qmail in Monit?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:48:33 +0000

Hi,

I have a couple of notes about setting up a server with Monit and qmail.

First, the 'supervise' package will look after qmail, so I don't use
Monit to manage it as well.

Second, the qmail replacement for the "sendmail" command line utility
does not support "-s" option. This can upset some applications which
want to send you email. For example the smartd hard disc monitor needs
this option. I'm not sure if Monit needs it to send email too. The
solution here is to install the Nail mail user agent, giving
/usr/bin/mail which processes the mail before it reaches the qmail
sendmail wrapper script. Applications can then send you email without
problems.

I hope this is helpful, although it doesn't tell you how to monitor
Qmail with Monit.

Regards,

David.

address@hidden