Re: Monit memory usage

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Monit memory usage
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:53:19 +0200

After restarting monit, it seems like memory goes up by 500 Kb each
cycle (10 sec). Is this expected/unusual or could my configuration be
wrong?

This is very likely related to the resource monitoring code in monit on Mac OS X. Resource monitoring on Mac OS X has been shaky. From your own mail, sent to the list a while ago:

"It looks like Apple is phasing out support for /dev/mem and the
Intel version of Tiger does not have it by default. It can however
be enabled using a kmem=1 boot-arg. So I was wondering if this is
the only workaround to get resource monitoring working or is there
another way?"

If you remove the resource testing code from .monitrc the leak should go away. I get no memory leaks on mine iMac x86 in that case. I haven't tested for leaks using the hack above.

I'm running Monit 4.9 on Mac OS X Server 10.8.4.

Is that the new intel based server or the old based on powerpc?

If you feel adventures and have developer tools installed you can try to track down the leak using "/Developer/Applications/Performance\ Tools/MallocDebug" Remember to start monit with the -Iv arguments as shown in the screenshot. But as I said I'm quite certain that this leak is either in our resource code or in apple's kvm library interface. Since the code seem to work okay on PPC it may be that the hack above is the cause and the problem is in the kvm_* api.

In any case, I think we need to rewrite the resource code for Mac OS X and I plan to start by investigate "top" on darwin to see how apple grabs memory information.

 http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.4.8.x86/top-17.4/

Best regards
--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland