Why no $MONIT_DESCRIPTION?

From: Patrik Israelsson
Subject: Why no $MONIT_DESCRIPTION?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:34:29 +0100

Hi,

I stumbled upon monit a while ago and was immediately impressed by its
functionality and flexibility. I've been meaning to use it in an environment
where SNMP traps to a central server are used for registering incidents, so
I'm playing around with the exec functionality to have an external script
send a trap with the relevant info.

I find it odd that all relevant information is available in the environment
variables set by monit, EXCEPT the actual description of the event. Why is
that? There is indeed a short description available, but for
instance "Resource limit matched" is a bit too brief compared to "'rootfs'
space usage 12.9% matches resource limit [space usage>8.0%]".

I modified the code to include this and it seems to work fine, but I'm
wondering if there's a known problem with putting the longer event
description in an environment variable since it's not included by default in
monit?

Regards,
Patrik