Changing one process based on another (HA setup)

From: Jason
Subject: Changing one process based on another (HA setup)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 14:46:13 -0800

I am very impressed with monit, but I seem to be running into an issue configuring it with high availability. My ideal scenario would be:

   1. Start & monitor the high availability heartbeat process
   2. Start & monitor my daemon process X
   3. If X restarts more than 3 times within 5 cycles then
        timeout or stop process X and /etc/init.d/heartbeat stop
        (to fail over to my secondary system)

I have tried using "if changed pid...then" but that apparently does not count if the pid changes due to monit, and of course, discovered that only "timeout" works with "if 3 restarts within 5 cycles then..."

Can anyone provide a method to accomplish this?
Thank you very much,

-Jason