Monitoring Snort

From: Tom Pike
Subject: Monitoring Snort
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 20:53:39 +0000

G'day,

        Our organisation is currently in the process of an infrastructure
upgrade, part of which includes installing Snort.  We'd like to have
monit checking snort, and were wondering if it is possible to have monit
monitor a number of PIDs defined by a regular expression?

Snort provides one PID file for each interface on the system, so is it
possible to have:

check process snort with pid file "/var/snort/run/*.pid"

I realise that monit would not be monitoring one process but several.
We wish to retain as generic setup as possible, so we don't want to
manually specify each PID file if at all possible.

                                Regards,

                                Tom Pike

| Tom Pike address@hidden     |
| P3 International www.p3international.org |