permision problem?

From: gabev
Subject: permision problem?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:26:39 -0800 (PST)

    Monit starts the programs with the same uid as it is running (unless
    'uid' or 'gid' options are used). Monit starts programs with restricted
    environment - this is most probably the reason why sylph is running when
    the script is started by hand and not running whstarted by monit =>
    check the environment variables needed).

    Martin

so finally with help I got the wrapper to create the pid file.I named the
wrapper sylph and put it in the /etc/init.d/ .The code  looks like that :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LOG_FILE=/tmp/CM_`date +%d%b%Y%H%M`.log
CM=`which sylpheed-claws`

if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
  echo "Unable to find sylpheed-claws"
  exit 1
fi

case $1 in
start)
nohup $CM 1>$LOG_FILE 2>&1 &
echo $! > /tmp/sylpheed.pid
;;
          stop)
           kill `cat /tmp/sylpheed.pid` ;;
          *)
           echo "usage: sylpheed {start|stop}" ;;
          esac
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I called monit from the terminal, as root, :

monit start sylpheed-claws

returns :

'sylpheed-claws' start : /etc/init.d/sylph
'sylpheed-claws' failed to start

"Monit starts programs with restricted
environment "....I modified monitrc entry to start and stop sylph as root

check process sylpheed-claws with pidfile /tmp/sylpheed.pid
   group mail

   start program = "/etc/init.d/sylph start"
     as uid dsl and gid staff
   stop program = "/etc/init.d/sylph stop"
      as uid root and gid root
   #if failed port 25 protocol smtp then restart
   #if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout