Re: Where is Sylpheed-claws PID file?

From: gabev
Subject: Re: Where is Sylpheed-claws PID file?
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 20:29:46 -0800 (PST)

Martin Pala wrote:

> Usually just daemons create a pidfile - user oriented programs such as
> email clients rarely.
>
> Generally you can create the pidfile yourself for any program, see monit
> FAQ - question/answer no. 3 (http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/faq.php).
>
> Martin
>
> gabev wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I use monit on dsl linux and I'm having problems finding the PID file of
>> sylpheed-claws email client.I can see that it has a pid by using the ps
>> -aux
>> command but I cant find the sylpheed-claws.pid file itself.Any
>> suggestions?
>> Thankx

Hi Martin

I created a wrapper for Sylpheed-Claws named sylph and put it in
/usr/bin/.The contents of sylph are:

#!/bin/bash

    export JAVA_HOME=/usr/bin/

   CLASSPATH=sylpheed-claws:.

          case $1 in
           start)
           echo $$ > /var/run/sylpheed.pid;
           exec 2>&1 sylpheed-claws -cp ${CLASSPATH} org.something.with.main
\
           1>/var/run/sylpheed.out
           ;;
          stop)
           kill `cat /var/run/sylpheed.pid` ;;
          *)
           echo "usage: sylpheed {start|stop}" ;;
          esac

Now from the terminal , logged in as root,  I can start sylpheed-claws by
issuing the command "sylph start" .If I start monit as daemon  ( monit -d 60
) sylpheed-claws is not started.In the monitrc file this is the entry for
sylpheed :

check process sylpheed-claws with pidfile /var/run/sylpheed.pid
   group mail

   start program = "/usr/bin/sylph start"
   stop program = "/usr/bin/sylph stop"
   #if failed port 25 protocol smtp then restart
   #if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

I cannot start or stop the sylpheed-claws service through the web
interface.I get the Execution failed status.One little detail, I always run
sylpheed as root, maybe thats why  monit cannot start it?