Installation Issues

From: Russell Cook
Subject: Installation Issues
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:35:34 -0800

I'm receiving the following error when trying to do the final 'make' command for install:

[/usr/local/monit-4.8.2]$ make install
/usr/bin/install -c  -m 755 -d /usr/local/bin || exit 1
/usr/bin/install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/local/bin': Operation not permitted
make: *** [install] Error 1

I'm not quite sure why /usr/local/bin needs to have 755 permissions but my system doesn't seem to allow me to change that even though I'm logged in as root. Is there a way around it? I would appreciate any help with figuring out how to get monit successfully install. Thanks!

Russell