Re: "Execution failed" on a process that is working fine

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: "Execution failed" on a process that is working fine
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:15:34 +0100

can you try to run monit in verbose mode (using the -v option) and send the output? (it will go either to monit log or to the terminal of used with -I option as well).

How long is the monit poll cycle? ('set daemon ...' statement or -d option?)

Thanks,

Martin

Lilach Givaty wrote:
Hi,

I have monit monitoring an snmp server,

Every once in a while I have to kill the snmp and then the monit restarts it.

The problem is that for some reason the monit sees the snmp status as "Execution failed" even though it is working fine.

Where does the monit decide this?

check process snmpd

        with pidfile "/var/run/snmpd.pid"

start program = "/sbin/start-stop-daemon -S -p /var/run/snmpd.pid -x /usr/sbin/snmpd -- -c /etc/snmpd.conf -p /var/run/snmpd.pid -Lf /dev/null"

        stop program = "/sbin/start-stop-daemon -K -p /var/run/snmpd.pid"

        group mngmnt

        mode manual

        depends on aimDaemon

        every 2 cycles

aimDaemon runs fine and the status is OK too.

If I kill the snmp process, the monit will run it again but it gets Execution failed even though the process works fine!

~ # monit status

The monit daemon 4.8.2 uptime: 21m

Process 'aimDaemon'

  status                            running

  monitoring status                 monitored

  pid                               1941

  parent pid                        1

  uptime                            20m

  childrens                         21

  memory kilobytes                  4004

  memory kilobytes total            88088

  memory percent                    13.2%

  memory percent total              291.1%

  cpu percent                       0.0%

  cpu percent total                 0.0%

  data collected                    Sun Nov 19 16:56:33 2006

Process 'snmpd'

  status                            Execution failed

  monitoring status                 monitored

  pid                               19175

  parent pid                        1

  uptime                            14m

  childrens                         0

  memory kilobytes                  2684

  memory kilobytes total            2684

  memory percent                    8.8%

  memory percent total              8.8%

  cpu percent                       0.0%

  cpu percent total                 0.0%

  data collected                    Sun Nov 19 16:56:33 2006

~ # cat /var/run/snmpd.pid

19175

~ # ps | grep 19175

19175 root 2684 S /usr/sbin/snmpd -c /etc/snmpd.conf -p /var/run/snmpd.pid -Lf /dev/null

25731 root        364 R   grep 19175

~ # As you can see the pid holds the correct number, the process is running and working well, why do I get status Execution failed?

Thank you, Lilach