Re: monit display/servlet question

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: monit display/servlet question
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:21:41 +0100

Thanks for wanting to contribute! Unfortunately as things stand now, with no separation of code from presentation you need to be able to program C to change the design[1]. What exactly do you want to change BTW? Changing unappealing HTML to appealing is not interesting in my book. As long as the browser can parse the HTML I'm fine.

However, if you have design suggestions for improvements we are all ears. One way to contribute is to create a mock-up and post it to a website we can look at. I believe we'll be happy to implement any 'objective' improvements in the monit GUI.

Best regards
--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland

1. I think we should add code and presentation separation to our TODO list. HTML should be split out into a template file with e.g. @tags@ which are then substituted in cervlet.c with real values. This should make it easier to change the design in the future. The way HTML is embedded in the C code now makes GUI changes very hard. Besides it makes us look like we have never heard of the MVC design pattern :-)