Re: monit and sendmail

From: Kevin Maguire
Subject: Re: monit and sendmail
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:17:56 +0200

Hi

On 8/23/06, Bernd Petrovitsch <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 16:50 +0200, Kevin Maguire wrote:
[....]
> I am not minded to change my sendmail config to NOT log those errors,
> so is there a way to force monit to say "HELO localhost" before

Patching the source to support a small subset of SMTP.

I looked further, and I don't think even that will help.  Because ....

> sending a QUIT command  when checking there is something listenin g on
> port 25?

Did you try it with `telnet` to see if it helps?
Last time I tried sendmail issued another message if you close the
connection after EHLO.

Indeed.  It seems to log something whatever you do,
HELO+MAIL+RSET+QUIT logs , HELO+QUIT logs, HELO+VRFY+QUIT logs.  I
could not find any combination that does log something or other.

I did find a patch for sendmail to change this

http://www.helsinki.fi/~vmkari/smpatch.html

but applying that to my Ubuntu system is hard, bot not impossible, so
I might try.  Options are:

1) reduce the interval of the check from monit (not ideal)
2) don't check the connection on port 25 at al, just the process (not ideal)
3) ignore the syslog messages (annoys me)
4) reduce LogLevel is sendmail to 5 or lower (very bad idea)
5) Try to apply the minor patch and rebuild my own version of sendmail
(bit of work, likely not worth it as I'd need to try to keep up with
any updates UbuntuDebian push out)
6) Use syslog-ng or similar to drop these messages :-)

Thanks,
Kevin