Re: Error: the executable does not exist 'su'

From: Anoop kumar V
Subject: Re: Error: the executable does not exist 'su'
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:58:03 -0400

Passive mode was what I was looking for...
Thanks...

I have this unrelated problem....

I have an app server monitored by monit... (RM_DEV is the name I have given for the process)

Now when I use the web interface and click on the button Start / Stop / Restart - nothing happens - the server does not get restarted.

But when I do on the command line:
./monit start RM_DEV

and then after a min refresh the web page. the server seems to have come up... it reads as online with all services.

What is baffling to me is that.. it is the same thing. I though when I click on the start button, I am doing the same thing as done by ./monit start RM_DEV,.

Then why wd it not work from the browser interface??
Here is my /etc/monitrc

***********************
set daemon 120                                # Poll in 2-minute intervals
set httpd port 2000
        allow admin:sumonit

check process Apache with pidfile /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid
   group www
   start program = "/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf -k start"
   stop  program = "/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf -k stop"
   if failed host amp.twoliter.com port 80
        protocol HTTP
        request "/index.html" then restart
   if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

check host RM_DEV with address amp.twoliter.com
        group www
        start program = "/opt/bea/user_projects/domains/cap2dev/monitStart"
        stop program = "/opt/bea/user_projects/domains/cap2dev/stop"
        if failed port 7015 protocol http
                and request "/console" then restart

***********************

Here is my monitStart script
***************************
cd /opt/bea/user_projects/domains/cap2dev; su weblogic -c "nohup /opt/bea/user_projects/domains/cap2dev/startWebLogic.sh &"
***************************

Thanks,
Anoop

On 8/15/06, Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden> wrote:

On 15. aug. 2006, at 22.53, Anoop kumar V wrote:

> ... and I do not want monit to restart my weblogic if it finds that
> it fails..but I still want it to continue monitoring.... how can i
> achieve that.. As of now I have "alert" if service is not
> running... but then when the service is not running, it just
> unmonitors the process...

Use passive monitoring mode for monit to only to send alerts on
error. See http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/
manual.php#monitoring_mode

> All I want to do is monit to strictly monitor the weblogic
> processes and do nothing if the process is not running - we will
> keep checking the monit url and if any process if not running we
> will restart it. (The other problem is that we do not want monit to
> restart a process if it was brought down by us.. like for a code
> deployment etc..)

If you actively monitor weblogic (recommended so it can start/stop/
exec stuff on errors) simply add to your deploy script at the start
'monit unmonitor weblogic' then deploy and finally add 'monit monitor
weblogic' again. For example.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland