Re: Create a new variable

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Create a new variable
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:14:43 +0200

On 10. jul. 2006, at 17.22, Andre Creutz wrote:

What i want to do:
If ntp becomes an error i want to send the output from ntpstat with the
monit-Alarm Mail.
Or the network is not ready i send what netstat -lan dumps.

Sorry, but this is not possible with current monit releases.

What i think:
There are a lot of variables like $HOST $SERVICE for Example. May it would be nice to create a var by my own? So i can send the output fron any shell
command with the monit-Mail.

Support of user defined variables will require quite a bit of changes to the control file grammar. And to make user defined variables really useful we also (probably) need to introduce if-else-tests for testing the value of the variable.

This may be a feature we may add later, but right now and with the limited time we have available, other more important stuff, at least in my book, takes priority. The TODO list we are working on can be seen here, http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/next.php Everyone is most welcome to suggest new functionality and features, but this one I'm afraid will have a low priority now and is more likely for the 5.x series of monit together with an overhaul of the control file language.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255