Re: problems monitoring dnsmasq

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: problems monitoring dnsmasq
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:48:43 +0200

Thanks,

... the reason of the failure: the monit DNS test is based on the query for DNS root NS record. It is assumed that this record has to exist and that the correctly functioning nameserver won't return error on it.

(you can test it for example using "nslookup -query=ns . 10.0.0.1", dig equivalent "dig @10.0.0.1 ns .")

Your nameserver returns "No Such Name" error, which is considered by monit as error. Is it possible to reconfigure dnsmasq to resolve NS records for DNS root?

Topic for discussion:

Should we changed the test to allow "no such name" error for this test (please describe legitimate situation where this error should be ignored)?

Thanks,
Martin