Re: monit suddenly won't start

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: monit suddenly won't start
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 16:00:51 +0200

Mike Pepe wrote:
Martin Pala wrote:

... what monit version is used? Can you send the configuration files?

Martin

Hi Martin, it's 4.7, and the config file looks like this:

(comments removed for clarity)

set daemon 60
set logfile syslog facility log_daemon
set mailserver mail.doki-doki.net, localhost
set httpd port 6502 and
allow localhost # allow localhost to connect to the server and
     allow home.doki-doki.net
     allow admin:monit      # require user 'admin' with password 'monit'
check system quadzilla.doki-doki.net
    if loadavg (1min) > 8 then alert
    if loadavg (5min) > 4 then alert
include /etc/monit.d/*

in monit.d I put all the services as separate entries, as in this sample

check process dovecot with pidfile /var/run/dovecot/master.pid
   start program = "/etc/init.d/dovecot start"
   stop  program = "/etc/init.d/dovecot stop"
   if failed host mail.doki-doki.net port 143 type TCP protocol IMAP
        then restart
   if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

it ran before I took out the lockfile check and dependencies, now I get those syntax errors

/etc/monit.d/dovecot:1: Error: syntax error 'process'

The transcript looks good ... the copy of the control files (e.g. tar) could help to find the problem (there may be some special case ... for example in the past there was problem with parsing the include files in CRLF format).