Monit process status "Execution failed" never recovers

From: Chris McKenzie
Subject: Monit process status "Execution failed" never recovers
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:39:09 -0500

If monit is unable to start a process when it finds it down (in my case it was postgres, because of a postgres bug that prevents it from starting if it finds its own pid file present) it'll note that process' status as "Execution failed". Here's a monit status clip:

# Monit finds pgsql isn't running, because it refuses to start
Process 'pgsql'
 status                            Does not exist
 monitoring status                 monitored
 data collected                    Tue Jan 10 13:18:37 2006

# Next polling cycle finds the downed process and notes the failed execution attempt:
Process 'pgsql'
 status                            Execution failed
 monitoring status                 monitored
 data collected                    Tue Jan 10 13:20:37 2006

# This continues until the timeout, when it's noted the process is "Not running". However if I fix the problem before the timeout:
Process 'pgsql'
 status                            Execution failed
 monitoring status                 monitored
 pid                               18407
 parent pid                        1
 uptime                            0m
 childrens                         10
 memory kilobytes                  2128
 memory kilobytes total            40800
 memory percent                    0.8%
 memory percent total              16.0%
 cpu percent                       0.0%
 cpu percent total                 0.0%
 data collected                    Tue Jan 10 13:22:37 2006

The process' status isn't fixed until I restart monit.

This is a big deal to anyone wanting to automate checking the monit status from, lets say a cgi process.

Thanks.

- Chris