Re: file regex testing broken?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: file regex testing broken?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:58:07 +0100

Please can you try the cvs version? There were fixes in file regex check - i have tried to replicate your problem, but it seems that the cvs version works well already.

Thanks,
Martin

P.S. he instructions for anonymous cvs access are here:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=monit

If you will have problem with cvs access, we can prepare snapshot for you.

Mike Jackson wrote:
I have the following rule in my monitrc:

check file errorlog with path /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
  if match "Premature end of script headers" then alert

The problem is, whenever it matches, the status on the status page remains at "Regex match" - it never resets to being clean, even if the logfile rotates (which it does every morning) and no longer contains the string. It only resets if I restart monit. Since the log shrinks, monit should reset the read position to the beginning, unless monit is still accessing the file by inode, and that's not changing in the rotation process. (That seems unlikely, because the log rotation script writes out new files to a temp directory, then moves them into place. The historical file has a new filename, and the new error_log should be shorter since the previous day's entries are deleted.)

It only sends an alert once, thank goodness.

I'm using monit 4.6 on a Redhat ES4 box (running the x86_64 version on an Opteron processor, if that would make a difference). Any help would be appreciated.