clamav-milter always detected not running

From: afraz
Subject: clamav-milter always detected not running
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:48:42 +0000

Hi,

I subscribed to the list just to ask this question, I hope that's okay
(neither Google nor the archives could help).

I'm running clamav-milter and want to monitor it with monit. Here is what I'm
using;

-- BEGIN CONFIG --
check process clamav-milter with pidfile /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.pid
    start program = "/etc/init.d/clamav-milter start"
    stop  program = "/etc/init.d/clamav-milter stop"
    if failed unix /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.ctl then restart
    group virus
    depends clamav-milter_init
    depends clamav-milter_bin

check file clamav-milter_init with path /etc/init.d/clamav-milter
    group virus

check file clamav-milter_bin with path /usr/sbin/clamav-milter
    group virus
-- END CONFIG --

monit tells me that clamav-milter is not running and tries to restart it;

[GMT Nov 18 14:29:19] 'clamav-milter' process is not running
[GMT Nov 18 14:29:19] 'clamav-milter' trying to restart
[GMT Nov 18 14:29:19] 'clamav-milter' start: /etc/init.d/clamav-milter

It's unsuccessful in doing so (because it's already running). It seems that
monit can't see clamav-milter running for some reason.

Obviously I've checked to make sure "/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.pid" is
really the correct PID, etc. Any help solving this would be greatly
appreciated.

All other monitoring (eg. bind9, apache, sendmail, et. al.) is working fine
(except openntpd which apparently can't be monitored because it doesn't have
a PID file?).

--
afraz "like a simile" ahmadzadeh
http://www.killerbees.org.uk

Please avoid sending me attachments in secret
proprietary formats such as MS Word's .doc format

This e-mail is intended for the addressee shown.
If you are not the addressee, you will immediately
change into the addressee and dispose of the orginal
addressee's body (since having two identical people
introduces reduntancy into the universe). Failure to
change into the addresse may result in nothing
whatsoever happening since e-mail disclaimers are
not legally binding.

However, by reading this e-mail you agree that any
e-mail you send to any of my addresses means that;
 1. I am by definition the intended recipient.
 2. I can do whatever I like with the contents of
    your e-mails you send me.
 3. I rule the school.

Also, you agree to give me some ice-cream. Chocolate
flavor.

Auto-generated fortune:
A truly great man will neither trample on a worm nor sneak to an emperor.
  -- B. Franklin