Re: Basic q's abt monit 4.5.1

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Basic q's abt monit 4.5.1
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:58:30 +0200

One possible way to create the pidfile in such case is described in monit FAQ:

3. Q: I have a program that does not create its own pid file. Since
      monit requires all programs to have a pid file, what do I do?

   A: Create a wrapper script and have the script create a pid file
      before it starts the program. Below you will find an example
      script for starting an imaginary program (a Java program in this
      case).  Assuming that the script is saved in a file called
      /bin/xyz, you can call this script from monit by using the
      following in monitrc:

      check process xyz with pidfile /tmp/xyz.pid
        start = "/bin/xyz start"
        stop = "/bin/xyz stop"

          --8<--- (cut here)

          #!/bin/bash
          export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/
          export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
          CLASSPATH=ajarfile.jar:.

          case $1 in
           start)
           echo $$ > /tmp/xyz.pid;
           exec 2>&1 java -cp ${CLASSPATH} org.something.with.main \
           1>/tmp/xyz.out
           ;;
          stop)
           kill `cat /tmp/xyz.pid` ;;
          *)
           echo "usage: xyz {start|stop}" ;;
          esac

          --8<---- (cut here)

Another simple method could be to append something like:

 'pgrep myprocess > /var/run/myprocess.pid'

to the startup script after the process was actualy started.

anuj agrawal wrote:
Hi Christian,
Thanks for the reply.... The problem with my server process is that it doesnt create any pid file on start up....i had manually created a pid file for the server and copied the pid of the process in it....then only was monit able to monitor it (it showed the status as running). Thats why i asked that how would monit come to know the pid of the server when restarting it. Is there ne way to make a process create a pid file after startup??? If not then given the situation of how i create the pid file..what should i do to make monit restart my process. Anuj

*/Christian Kowarzik <address@hidden>/* wrote:

    Hi Anuj,

    anuj agrawal wrote:
     > Hello all,
     >
     > Well for my intro i am a newbie in the world of MONIT
     > and hence facing some difficulties using it.
     >
     > I am using monit 4.5.1 to monitor a certain server
     > which is written in java. When the server is up there
     > is no pid file generated by it hence i wrote my own
     > pid file and i wrote the pid of the server process in
     > it.
     >
     > Once this was done i made an emtry in the monitrc file
     > placed in /etc as:
     >
     > check process server with pidfile /var/run/server.pid
     > start = "............"
     > stop = "............"
     >
     > after doing this i started the monit web interface in
     > which it was easily recognising and monitoring the
     > process "server".It showed the status as running and
     > all the required information was correctly displayed.
     >
     > Now,i pressed the "stop" button and hence the process
     > was successfully stopped.
     >
     > Now comes the problem , when i try to start the server
     > through monit it doesnt and shows "execution failed".
     >
     > Questions i have are:
     >
     > 1) When starting a service how does monit come to know
     > the pid of the process???
    by looking in the pid file you specified in the monit.conf like in
    'check process server with pidfile /var/run/server.pid'

     > 2) Does monit itself places the pid of the started
     > process in the pid file??(i.e. updates the pidfile)
    no, the proccess you started itself is responsible for placing its pid
    in the pidfile - or your startup script if the proccess itself is not
    able to do so

     > Eagerly awaiting replies.
     >
     > Thanks,
     > Anuj

    christian

    begin:vcard
    fn:Christian Kowarzik
    n:Kowarzik;Christian
    org:PROFESSIONAL IT-SERVICE
    adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:;;Kaiserstra=C3=9Fe
    28b;D=C3=BCsseldorf;NRW;40479;Deutschland
    email;internet:address@hidden
    tel;work:0211 - 545 11 37
    tel;fax:0211 - 152 00 50
    tel;cell:0179 - 226 28 90