Re: no webserver restart on reload

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: no webserver restart on reload
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:16:48 +0200

On 18. aug. 2005, at 12.10, martin rueegg [metaworx rueegg] wrote:

when reloading monit, the webserver is restarted. during this
time, no other client can connect to the daemon, that's
obvious. the problem is, that the client will not be able to
connect and therefore fail entirely with it's command.

could it be done the way that httpd is only restared if it's
configuration is affected by the reload. otherwise it will
only temporaryly disable the handling of requests by
returning a http status code of 503 with a retry-after
<configurable value>.

Not a bad idea, but the problem is that after a restart the HTTP port could be changed in the control file so we MUST restart the http- server thread in case we now must bind to a different port number. Otherwise, this would be a good solution.

the monit client on the other hand should retry to send his
request upon reception of a 503 status code for n-times where
n is again a <config value> (or in monitrc or as a command
line option).

Again, since the HTTP port number could be changed, the monit client also must re-read the control file and cannot retry against the same port.

I think you must solve this problem outside of monit or change your own copy of monit. What you suggest is certainly possible to do in monit if the HTTP port number never changes.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255