no webserver restart on reload

From: martin rueegg [metaworx rueegg]
Subject: no webserver restart on reload
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:10:18 +0200

hi

we are running monit version 4.5.1 (... well, you know. I
hope, I'm not too noisy for a newbee but I wantet to keep
different things in different threads.).

when reloading monit, the webserver is restarted. during this
time, no other client can connect to the daemon, that's
obvious. the problem is, that the client will not be able to
connect and therefore fail entirely with it's command.

could it be done the way that httpd is only restared if it's
configuration is affected by the reload. otherwise it will
only temporaryly disable the handling of requests by
returning a http status code of 503 with a retry-after
<configurable value>.

the monit client on the other hand should retry to send his
request upon reception of a 503 status code for n-times where
n is again a <config value> (or in monitrc or as a command
line option).

regards,
martin.

Martin Rueegg                             Owner and IT staff member
                                                 http://metaworx.ch
metaworx rueegg                          mailto:address@hidden

Site Office Germany                         Head Office Switzerland
Birkentalstrasse 4                            Brandgrubenstrasse 23
DE-97209 Veitshoechheim                               CH-8610 Uster

tel: +49 (931) 970 90 30                    tel: +41 (44) 99 44 044
fax: +49 (931) 970 90 88                    fax: +41 (44) 99 44 043

gsm: +49 (1520) 8 563 549                   gsm: +41 (79) 312 50 15
mailto:address@hidden                     skype: martin.rueegg