Re: restart failed

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: restart failed
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 03:35:05 +0200

On 17. jul. 2005, at 10.03, Pavel Urban wrote:

Hello,

we have separated 'alert' and 'timeout' notifications and thess lines in monit.conf

check process mta-dispatcher with pidfile /usr/iplanet/mta-in1/msg- mta-in1/config/pidfile.imta_dispatch start program "/usr/iplanet/mta-in1/msg-mta-in1/imsimta start dispatcher" stop program "/usr/iplanet/mta-in1/msg-mta-in1/imsimta stop dispatcher"
  if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
  if failed host 192.168.10.12 port 25 protocol smtp then restart

It work ok, but today we've noticed that 'stop' method failed - and isn't tried again. It is probably normal.

Yes, if it didn't work the first time it is assumed that it wont work (in this cycle). I think this is okay..

BUT - no timeout occures and therefore no 'timeout' notifications are sent, while the service is effectively not running. Can this be accomplished somehow?

Well, timeout occurs only in the reverse situation - if monit failed to start the service in x out of y cycles. In this case monit failed to stop. However if you put this at the top of your monitrc file, "set alert address@hidden", or "alert address@hidden [on {exec}]" in the check process entry you _will_ at least get an alert message if monit failed to execute the stop-program or start-program.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255