Re: Log files monitoring - forked Monit and Openview

From: Marco Ermini
Subject: Re: Log files monitoring - forked Monit and Openview
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 11:27:17 +0200

On 5/4/05, Peter van der Does <address@hidden> wrote:

> Just curious, but why are you using monit alongside Openview Operations?
>
> Peter
[...]

As you can imagine, it's not a matter of technological choices :-)

It depends on where you are working and with who you are working.

Here in Vodafone Italy there are already existing "horizontal" infrastracture
which accomodates the hosting of the platforms delivered. For instance, there
is the "developement", "test-bed", "pre-production", "production" etc., every
center have its own team with already planned instruments, operative systems,
hardware etc.

Every delivered platform is delivered "vertically" by the team which operates
them (delivered from scratch, from programming and managing the sources to the
architectural plan, to the deployment in the Vodafone centers) and we have to
"adapt" the platform to the Vodafone centers.

Monit was a great tool to monitor and have the platform running and restarting
when it fails, but there are already existing alerting (OpenView) and KPI (Key
Performance Indicators) monitoring to which we need to adapt.

This way of working (vertical team on the platform, horizontal teams for
testing and delivery is quite efficient but we need to "adapt" each others.

On this topic:

Yesterday I obtained from my boss 5 scheduled days to work on Monit to have
configurable logfiles.

I need suggestions on:

- where to work on (CVS or stable version? I prefer to work on stable. Is it
possible to work on both with minor hassles?)

- suggestions on how/what/where implement it.

Bye!

PS. I have great difficulties with the mailing list on savannah, since the web
interface is always broken. I can't change my subscription address nor
subscribe to the "dev" mailing list. Someone could help me? :-)
--
Marco Ermini
http://www.markoer.org