Re: Duped messages.

From: Peter van der Does
Subject: Re: Duped messages.
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 09:49:37 -0400

Here it is:
monit: Debug: Adding net allow '127.0.0.1'.
monit: Debug: Adding net allow '192.x.x.x'.
monit: Debug: Adding credentials for user 'monit'.
Runtime constants:
 Control file       = /etc/monitrc
 Log file           = /var/log/monit.log
 Pid file           = /var/run/monit.pid
 Debug              = True
 Log                = True
 Use syslog         = False
 Is Daemon          = True
 Use process engine = True
 Poll time          = 10 seconds
 Mail server(s)     = localhost
 Mail from          = address@hidden
 Mail subject       = $HOST - $PROGRAM $ACTION
 Mail message       = Date:    $DATE
Host:..(truncated)
 Start monit httpd  = True
 httpd bind address = localhost
 httpd portnumber   = 2812
 httpd signature    = True
 Use ssl encryption = False
 httpd auth. style  = Basic Authentication and Host/Net allow list
 Alert mail to      = address@hidden
 Alert on           = All events
 Alert mail to      = address@hidden
 Alert on           = All events
 Alert mail to      = address@hidden
 Alert on           = All events

The service list contains the following entries:

Process Name          = apache
 Group                = (not defined)
 Pid file             = /var/run/httpd.pid
 Monitoring mode      = active
 Start program        = /opt/whenu/sbin/httpd.sh start
 Stop program         = /opt/whenu/sbin/httpd.sh stop
 Pid                  = if changed then alert
 Ppid                 = if changed then alert
 Port                 = if failed localhost:80/ [protocol HTTP] with
timeout 5 seconds then restart else if recovered then alert
 Load avg. (5min)     = if greater than 10.0 for 3 cycle(s) then restart
else if recovered then alert
 CPU usage limit      = if greater than 90.0% for 6 cycle(s) then
restart else if recovered then alert
 Every                = Check service every 6 cycles

Process Name          = sshd
 Group                = (not defined)
 Pid file             = /var/run/sshd.pid
 Monitoring mode      = active
 Start program        = /etc/init.d/sshd start
 Stop program         = /etc/init.d/sshd stop
 Pid                  = if changed then alert
 Ppid                 = if changed then alert
 Port                 = if failed localhost:22 [protocol SSH] with
timeout 5 seconds then restart else if recovered then alert

Process Name          = crond
 Group                = (not defined)
 Pid file             = /var/run/crond.pid
 Monitoring mode      = active
 Start program        = /etc/init.d/crond start
 Stop program         = /etc/init.d/crond stop
 Pid                  = if changed then alert
 Ppid                 = if changed then alert

-
monit daemon at 29378 awakened

Well I assume the fact it says three times, Alert mail to and Alert on
is the reason it's sending out three mails every time.

Another "problem" I just saw, the monit process was left hanging in
D-state. After rebooting it was gone of course.

Greets
Peter

Martin Pala wrote:
> Can you run monit in verbose mode (using -v option) and send log output?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin
>
> Peter van der Does wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded Monit 4.5.1 and installed it on our system.
>
> When apache for example dies I get two messages but I also receive every
> message three times.
>
> This is the apache part in monitrc:
>
> check process apache with pidfile /var/run/httpd.pid
>         start program = "/opt/foo/sbin/httpd.sh start"
>         stop program = "/opt/foo/sbin/httpd.sh stop"
>         if failed host localhost port 80
>                 protocol HTTP request "/"
>                 then restart
>                 every 6 cycles
>         if cpu > 90% for 6 cycles then restart
>         if loadavg(5min) > 10 for 3 cycles then restart
>         set alert address@hidden
>
> And the messages that I get:
>
> 3 Times:
> Date:    Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:25:23 -0400
> Host:    foo.com
> Service: apache
> Event:   Does not exist
> Action:  restart
> 'apache' process is not running
>
> 3 Times:
> Date:    Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:26:23 -0400
> Host:    foo.com
> Service: apache
> Event:   Exists
> Action:  alert
> 'apache' process is running with pid 17657
>

> Greetings
> Peter

- --