Re: MySQL monitoring: too many bad connections from host

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: MySQL monitoring: too many bad connections from host
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:17:37 +0200

On Mar 30, 2005, at 10:08, Neil Robst wrote:

I've setup monit 4.4 on a host to monitor a local MySQL database and a
remote MySQL database by simply attempting to connect on port 3306 on each server. I left it running over night and when I came back in this morning I find that the MySQL database has blocked client accesses from the host due to "too many bad connections". I suspect this is because the test that monit is doing is simply opening the MySQL port and then closing it again - not actually executing any SQL statements and thus MySQL is seeing this
as a bad connection attempt.

That sounds logical, but maybe it's something that could be configured in mysql?

Is anyone aware of this and have a workaround / resolution?

I don't know much about mysql, but if you find an answer please let us know.

Maybe extending the MySQL tests like the Apache-status one to actually query the status of the MySQL server and find out what it's really doing rather than just connecting on the tcp port. Or maybe better still the ability to run
arbitary SQL statements and check their output?

That would be easy to add if monit was linked with the mysql C-library. However, we want to link with as few external libraries as possible to avoid dll-hell. We could have linking as an option in the configure script, but a much better idea is to implement or use a type 4 JDBC protocol interface, since they do not link with any native code and use a plain tcp connection protocol. If anyone have a protocol description or doc for the mysql JDBC connection, or want to implement a mysql test let us know.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255