Re: Monit Can't Stop Apache

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Monit Can't Stop Apache
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 00:46:18 +0100

On Mar 1, 2005, at 23:35, Chris Lopeman wrote:

In the Monit FAQs it is recommended that Monit take over the starting of the monitored services to avoid race conditions. I agree and did so. Part of this setup is to have monit take over stopping of said services during shutdown. Makes perfect sense. But Linux already does this, so how it works is already laid out. That standard must be maintained. The processes and script are designed to work with it that way. Linux does not conditionally call the stop scripts...it does so unconditionally. Not calling a stop script could lead to bad things happening, like loss of data or lockup during shutdown. Therefore Monit should unconditionally call the stop scripts at shutdown.

Absolutely! But it is your responsibility to setup monit to do so, which also is very easy to do.

But we already know that explicitly telling Monit to stop a process is conditional and I assume sending "stop all" would have the same issue.

If you by this referee to the problem you earlier described with apache, then let me again stress that this is a configuration problem, which is *not* particular to monit but is general to the Linux sys.init system as well. However there is *nothing* that prevents you from configuring monit to unconditionally kill apache. Monit is only a tool which you as a system admin. must configure correctly to make it work correctly :-)

Of course Monit could just be changed to unconditionally call stop on shutdown, but then that would make it inconsistent with itself. In order for Monit to be internally consistent and meet the standards set by Linux, it must unconditionally call stop on shutdown and restarts.

Monit itself may not do this, but if you let monit take over daemon startup at boot time you should absolutely also setup monit to also gracefully shutdown all daemons it controls at system shutdown. How to do this is explained in the faq (see Answer 7. A).

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255