Configuring monit to call an external program (EXEC) as well as r estart

From: Tom O'Brien
Subject: Configuring monit to call an external program (EXEC) as well as r estart etc
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:56:52 -0500

Hi all:
In reading the mailing list archives (search for SNMP), Martin Pala seemed to imply that it was possible to call an external program (such as snmptrap) from monit, when a state change occurred.

I can see it is possible to call an external program through the EXEC action; however it does not seem possible to call EXEC, and also take built in actions such as "restart", or "timeout". Basically I want the EXEC to replace the alert! I'm using monit 4.3 currently.

Is this a correct read of monit's capabilities?

Is there any round-about way to do what I need?
- I've tried sending alerts to a localhost address, then parse the message to generate the alert I want; however because monit goes direct to port 25, I cannot use it (my smtp service may be heavily loaded, and non-responsive).

- I've considered polling the HTTP server, but I may miss state changes.
- Are all state changes written to the monit log? I suppose I could write a log monitor! Gack.

Thanks for a very useful tool!

Tom.