Monitoring IMAP connection with Monit

From: Kenneth Yip
Subject: Monitoring IMAP connection with Monit
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:36:51 +0800

Hi

I would like to use Monit to monitor IMAP connection
on our servers, however, our problem is somewhat more
than port 143 simply not responding which can be easily
handled.

Indeed, when our IMAP server (more exactly, imapproxy)
failed, it continues to respond to port 143 as if it is working
perfectly, however, when user credentials is entered, it just
stuck there and provide no further responses and all users'
login failed.

Is there any way I can simulate a user login to port 143
using Monit rather than simply testing the connection?
or should I use the {send/expect} syntax, assuming that
Monit can't speak in IMAP?

Thanks in advance.

rgds,
ky