Re: Monit and WAP

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Monit and WAP
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:36:39 +0100

On Nov 11, 2004, at 23:51, David Fletcher wrote:

Has anyone thought about developing a WAP status page with the same status information available that is currently available on the HTML status page?

I searched the mail archives and didn't find anything.

My phone does WAP, and it seems a nice way to check servers when away from
any computer & internet connection.

Is WAP too out of date? I wonder if it will be forgotten about once
everyones phone does normal HTML web browsing.

Actually WAP has had a renaissance (here in scandinavia) with GPRS since you only pay for the data transfer not for the connection time as you did with GSM, which was a disaster and the reason WAP almost died.

I was thinking about using
a text message, but the costs are much higher than with WAP.

I will probably write something in the next week or so. I'm mostly
interested in status information, so I don't think I will bother with
service start/stop buttons.  If it's useful I'll post more information
about it & the code.

Monit can write its status in XML by using e.g. this URL http://ipaddress/_status?format=xml Combine this fact with the monit.php wrapper in the contrib directory and a XML parser and you should be able to create a WAP page for monit pretty easy.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255