Re: starting service order

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: starting service order
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:56:33 +0200

On Jul 7, 2004, at 6:23 PM, Christian Hopp wrote:

(1) I think we really need to dive deep into graph theory then for a
relialble implementation.  (definitely not my field of research) (-:

Shouldn't be to hard. Implementing dependecies was the hard part, implementing a "use" functionality simply means to shuffle the servicelist so services are started in the prefeered order. Okay, maybe some graph theory but not much. I'll put myself up as responsible for this function since I like to fool around with lists/graphs and pointers =8-o

(2) Interesting but too dangerous.  Breaks the concept of having a
validation loop. Then we would have signal based tests and a validation loop. The signal based code might break with the multitreaded code. And it breaks with the "unix" idea one small tool for each task. I think init is there where its supposed to be. I think we would not get past a proof of concept and wouldn't achieve anything a user would adept. Just my two
cents.

a) I agree with your concerns, this is not trivial stuff. However, I suggest we put it on our TODO list (http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/next.html) but with a low priority. If we managed to implement this (or maybe as a better hack than using signals) it would be a very good feature, so monit does not need to depend on pid-files only.

b) init is absolutely where it's supposed to be. monit will not replace init, but can replace execution of SYS V rc startup scripts. The setup will look something like: init -> monit -> start-system-daemons. See Igor's general setup (which is not far from a sysinit replacement) here http://people.altlinux.ru/~homyakov/packages/monit/monitrc.d/

Cheers
--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland